Birth is an event we all share. I have heard before, that the status of a country, government, or people can be judged off how they treat their most vulnerable, in this case the United States and the American people fare poorly in regards to how our mothers and infants are treated during Birth.
Our modern maternity care system has seen some positive changes, but there is still so much room for growth. Most importantly we need hospitals and Birth professionals to be accountable for the care they provide and women deserve Evidence-Based Care.The long-term effects of obstetrical interventions are finally being realized and we need to change the face of medically managed birth!
EMPOWERED BIRTH AWARENESS WEEK is September 3rd-10th.
Here are a few ideas that you can do to support Evidence-Based Maternity Care:
- Check out Improving Birth to find a "Rally for Change" in your area, or to start one of your own!
- Create your own expression or interpretation of Empowered Birth and share online - artwork, video, photo (YouTube, Facebook, Pintrest)
|Here is some of my Birth artwork :)|
- Change your Facebook picture to something birth related (you can use one of the images from this post!) or maybe an image of you/ your family during or after birth
- Ask a woman you know (mother, sister, friend) to share her birth story with you
- Watch a movie you haven't seen to learn more about Birth such as: Orgasmic Birth, The Business of Being Born and More Business of Being Born
- If you are pregnant, learn about a different option for your birth, something you hadn't known about before, such as having a doula, birthing at a birth center, having a VBAC...
*You could use both of these to ask for Evidence-Based Care in your local hospital!*
Share more ideas in the 'comments' section below or tell about what you will do/did for Empowered Birth Awareness Week!!!
~Wisdom and Birth