In recent news we have seen that the rights of women, especially pregnant women, are hardly considered important to the American government and legal system.
Not only do women (especially pregnant ones) continue to lose their decision-making rights and autonomy, but corporations continue to receive more and more "rights of personhood"... WTF!?
- With decisions such as Hobby Lobby (a company) getting to claim religious beliefs and deny birth control coverage to female employees. link
- Drug-testing of pregnant women, and if they test positive for drugs, then reporting them to Child Protective Services. link
- Forcing surgery on birthing women for the "safety and rights" of their unborn child. link
- Anti-choice legislation closing down health clinics that provide abortions to women who have decided not carry or give birth to a baby. link
- The shackling of laboring women in prisons. link
- Denying women who test positive for drugs the right to feed their child their breastmilk. link
... and the list goes on and on...
So to help those who may be confused by the question "Who and What is a Person in the United States", let me help you.
Here is a visual guide to understand the convoluted, and honestly fucked up, hierarchy of American Personhood rights in the United States.
(Images were found using google images)
So, WHAT CAN WE DO????
Being aware of the issue is a good first step. It is important to recognize what is going on with the loss of rights to anyone who isn't a rich white man, or a corporation.
Be sure to vote for representatives who stand up for 'the people' such as Wendy Davis from Texas (link) and Elizabeth Warren from Massachusetts (link). Not those who stand up for big money and corporations (anyone the Koch brothers are funding).
You can also learn about, join, and contribute to organizations that work to protect the rights of women and other vulnerable populations such as the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) and Amnesty International (link) or groups that work to specifically protect the rights of pregnant and birthing women such as Human Rights in Childbirth (link) and Improvingbirth.org
Most importantly, GET OUT AND VOTE! All voting matters, general elections AND especially the Primary elections!
Please share and help others understand our system of Personhood rights in the U.S. and how we can make it better for the people!
I stand for equality. I stand for WOMEN!
~Wisdom and Birth